Pat Kerwan wrote:

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:03:49AM +0200, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:

Hi,

1 - I was thinking of using a firewall on cd (creating myself) with
gentoo and iptables. If it is going to be used in a company (if properly
configured) would the result be the same as a checkpoint firewall ?

Don't know to much about checkpoint but besides the advanced features like HA/clustering the result should be the same.
If you don't insist in using gentoo you could also use gibraltar (http://www.gibraltar.at) which is a debian based firewall on cd.
Generally for configuring the iptables rules I recommend using shorewall http://www.shorewall.net (there is an ebuild for it).

Peter

2- How do i save the logfiles of that firewall config, on the internal
HD? and read them true ssh ?

To save the log files to the HD, I'm pretty sure all you'd need to do is create a filesystem on the hard drive, and set up /etc/fstab so it will be mounted at /var.

- PK

TIA
Patrick

--
Insufficient facts always invite danger.
-- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9

PGP Key: http://users.pandora.be/rivendell/marquetp.gpg
Fingerprint = 2792 057F C445 9486 F932 3AEA D3A3 1B0C 1059 273B
ICQ# 316932703 Registered Linux User #44550
http://counter.li.org