Very strange. The config should work. Tell me, What happens if you log
on as root and then start X? Same behaviour? or does it work
properly?
The only other thing I can think of is some obscure keyswitch. I am
troubled by one of those myself. Every time I reboot this thing, my
numberpad won't output numbers in X regardless of the LED status
until I press the combination shift + alt + numlock.
        I have looked where I found my solution for some magic for you but
have had no luck. Perhaps some intense research on xfree key
combinations will reveal the answer.
        If, however, root can switch terminals after starting X, the problem
probably lies in your /home dir.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free