mathieu perrenoud wrote:
Hello,
Since two months, everything goes wrong in my pc: erratic disks, mb's chipset overheating... And since yesterday, my box has freezed 3 times (the three times during OO1.1 compilation).
So I've decided to blame this on my mobo and to buy a new one, and I new CPU btw. (If you think that I'm wrong, thanks to warn me).
I've compiled every app with the following flags:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

And I'd like to just switch the new mobo and cpu "plug & play", without reinstalling and recompiling everything.
My actual mother board is an asus a7v266 and my cpu an amd 1800+.
I guess that if I don't want to recompile everything, I have to stick to AMD. But could I keep the old one or do I have to change my cpu if I change my mb? And buy new ram? What should I include in my kernel before installing the new card?

And a stupid question to end: could it be the OO's compilation that freeze my box?

Yes and no. It could be because you were compiling OO, but not OO's fault. Building OO is a very processor intensive task. If you've already been having problems with overheating, then the first thing I'd try is to get better fans. Although, if this has been a problem for a while, there is a good chance that the mobo is damaged anyway from the overheating. Before you get the mobo, get better/more cooling fans. If that doesn't help, get the new mobo, and you'll already have the better fans to use with it :)

As for the processor and RAM, it is okay to keep the old ones as long as you know that they work fine. Try running memtest86 on your RAM to make sure its in decent condition. Unless you're getting weird errors and segfaults everywhere, your processor is probably fine.

--
Andrew Gaffney