On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, HvR wrote:

> one thing i dislike about gentoo is that the support for creating a
> proper XF86config file is missing. the equivalent tool from redhat is
> much smarter. so what i do these days is install redhat have it create
> the config file then copy it to a save spot, install gentoo and then put
> the redhat configured file back, works like a charm.....but...

it depends on what you mean by "good" and "proper." for me, the only good
and proper creator is a text editor (joe) and man XF86Config, along with a
base XF86Config file from xf86config.  i've yet to see any creator that
handles all the options, like xinerama and multiple
screens/monitors/cards/layouts/etc, as well as many options for even one
display.

-dave