Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the confusion...

Brett : the issue is actually step 6 of the installation where I cannot
see my sata drives to partition, etc.

So to be clear here it is :

I have a Biostar IDEQ 200N with a VIA VT6420 SATA RAID controller in it.

the machine has two, completely blank, new sata drives plugged into
channel0 and channel1 of SATA controller and a dvd player/recorder.

I stick in the live-cd, it boots nicely (looks great btw), and I end up
at root's bash prompt.  Networking working great, things look good.

At this point, according to step 6 of the install
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap6), I need
to fdisk to create partitions.  Ahhhh the rub, I don't have any
hard-drives showing up in /dev.  I've got /dev/hdc -> dvd player, but
that's it.

My fairly safe guess is that the VIA VT6420 SATA RAID controller isn't
'detected' and thus, neither are my drives.  My googling/foruming/MI has
indicated that there are other kernels which *might* detect this
controller.

But...  how to use?

If I cannot have access to the drives at all, what--if anything--can I
do to actually use an alternative kernel (i.e. one that's not on the
liveCD)?

I thought about the knopplix (sp?) boot disk to see if it detected the
controller (people seem to indicate that it detects alot of hardware),
but then I wouldn't know what to do if it did :)

Now, as I write this, one additional thing comes to mind:

If I choose to boot the smp-nofb kernel, I get an additional message
during bootup.  I'm not at the computer now, so I cannot even confirm
that it is at all related, but I recall it saying something about
something-something IRQ 7 something-something (that's embarrassing, but
that's all I can recall).

Thanks in advance everyone!
daniel