Depends how your doing it.. here is what I do..

1. I boot up some linux, normally a disk utils linux.
2. Load only the modules I need for any HD's, networks and so forth. Just the stuff
you need for an install.
3. Then start in the creating disk partition section on the gentoo site.. (it changes
or I would give you a link)

The install is really easy, without looking, its create partitions, mount em, unload
the bz image to the new drive, chroot, source profile and env-update, edit make.conf,
sync, bootstrap, system, kernel,fstab, grub. After that you could technically reboot
and finish the rest.. If I didn't remember something, I just load my utils linux again
and kick myself for forgetting..

Its really no different then the live cd, only your using a different linux boot
method.