I Think I opened a can of worms here.. :)

> >If you have mysql, you can add portagesql.. I wouldn't
> advise using it for everyday use, however, I searching is awesome..
> >
> >emergesql -s kde - takes about 2 seconds to come back.. :)
> Just to bad the portage guys don't see the value in a sql backend.
> >

> Could you please explain in more detail of your suggestion
> 1) Whether I need 'mysql' running on Gentoo 1.4.
> 2) Whether 'emergesql -s kde' can assist installing KDE reducing the
> total time in respect of download, compile and install, etc.

When I spoke of emergesql, I was talking about the search function. Not for everyday
use. Matter of fact, if you do a emergesql <package>, it just calls emerge.. Emergesql
was just a great function to speed up searching and emergesql -up --deep is SO much
faster... Its in very early development however..

> Now I have Gentoo 1.4 running on my PC.  I need to install
> "xfree" and
> "kde" but hesitate to proceed further if each of them will
> take 6+ hours
> to download, compile, install, etc.

emergesql has nothing to do with compile and install times.. Explained above

> According to introduction on Gentoo website, I can use the
> pre-compile
> packages on CD2 to install the package and thereafter update
> them from
> website.  It will shorten the time to install 'xfree' and
> 'kde'  But I
> am not quite sure how to proceed as instructed.  Most
> postings suggest
> me "do installation from website"

Problem with precompiled packages, is your defeting one of the best parts of gentoo, a
compiled system to your specifications.. You do what you want, however..