On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:30:24AM -0700, Ian Truelsen wrote:
> I am looking to get a new video card for my desktop (the old Voodoo
> 3 is starting to show its age). What I would like to know is which
> of the big two nVidia or ATI are better supported under Linux for
> framebuffer stuff and for DRI.

nVidia gets my vote.  I've been using one for a few months now without
any problems.  I just switched to Gentoo, so before I was installing
the nvidia drivers manually---it was trivial.

I'm not a gamer, but I do use Pro/Engineer on my Linux box; that
application is pretty picky with video cards.

Our standard workstations at work *used* to come with ATI cards, but
they had too many problems and we switched to nvidia.

Based entirely on hearsay, the nvidia drivers are generally of much
better quality and more stable (though maybe not as well performing).
Although, (again based on hearsay) the ATI drivers seem to have
improved reliability as of late.

Hope that helps!
Matt