1. When shutting down, gnome 2.4 always produces a dialog box saying
(similar words to these) "these applications (all of mine are listed) won't
restart, you will need to restart them manually." But they lie. Most of them
restart, but all crammed onto the first desktop! Is there any way to cause
gnome not to restart them, as it promissed?

If I'm thinking of the same dialog box... it's referring to restarting the programs in the same instance as they are closed in (e.g. a browser opens to the homepage instead of the page last open) Using gnome-session you can specified what programs you would like to start when gnome comes up; as well as whether or not to save the last session. Choose not to save last session and gnome will open with only the programs you specify.

2. When I right click and select properties for a desktop icon, I'm only allowed
to select an icon from /usr/share/pixmaps. Any way to get around this and use
icons from other locations? For example, OpenOffice has a suitable icon
available, but I can't find any way to use it, so I have to be content with the
"footprint."

Couldn't say, all the icons I've ever obtained I put in that same directory.

-chris