On Saturday 18 October 2003 22:55, Stroller wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2003, at 6:44 am, rh wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:21:33 +0900
> >
> > Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> This sounds like there is a reference to vi in
> >> /var/cache/edb/virtuals.
> >>
> >> Jason
> >
> > You are good...there is a reference to 'vi' in /var/cache/edb/virtuals.
> > Can I just edit that file? The next time I 'emerge sync', does this
> > file get
> > overwritten?
>
> As Mr Stubbs has pointed out, you can edit this file. But I think you
> need to leave the "virtual/editor" intact with *some* appropriate
> editor (eg: app-editors/nano)

Hehe, Jason is fine. Leaving *some* editor is what I meant when I said to just
remove the unwanted package.

> > On a similiar note, I had gnome installed but then removed it as best
> > as
> > I could from my system yet a reference to gnome-base/gnome appears in
> > the
> > var/cache/edb/world file. Can I edit it safely?
>
> Again, yes you can edit this file, but if you removed Gnome by `emerge
> -C gnome`, then I think it should have removed the world entry
> automagically. I  think you can run `emerge --depclean` to tidy up once
> you have edited the "gnome-base/gnome", but BE SURE to run it with the
> --pretend option first & study the output.

I didn't notice the mention of the world file. Personally, I have
AUTOCLEAN="yes" but sometimes things get left in both world and virtuals. I
haven't bothered to track down the cause of this or under what situations it
happens but it definately does happen sometimes when it shouldn't.

As far as emerge --depclean goes, I would also recommend knowing what your use
flags are and what they have been as packages will be marked for removal
based on your current use flags only and not what the package was built with.

Regards,
Jason