On Oct 18, 2003, at 9:49 pm, Claus Ladekjær Wilson wrote:

emerge -pv python give this output: ************************************** bash-2.05b# emerge -pv python

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] dev-lang/python-2.2.3-r1 +readline +tcltk +berkdb -bootstrap
-build -doc
************************************
Please give a suggestion about what to enter next!
Thanks for your help!

Actually, `emerge -pv some/package` only tells you what USE flags the package would be built with based on your *current* USE settings. To find what the package was actually build with, use `etcat -u some/package`.

$ etcat -u  dev-lang/python-2.2.3-r1
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend      : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags        ]
[             : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ]

U I [ Found these USE variables in : dev-lang/python-2.2.3-r1 ]
+ + readline : enables support for libreadline, a GNU line-editing library that most everyone wants.
- - tcltk : Support for Tcl and/or Tk
- - berkdb : Adds support for sys-libs/db (Berkeley DB for MySQL)
- - bootstrap : !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used during original system bootstrapping
- - build : !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used for creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping.
- - doc : Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
$

`etcat` is part of Gentoolkit, so you may find you need to emerge that first.

HTH,

Stroller.