On Sunday 19 October 2003 11:02, Andrew Kirilenko wrote:
> glxgears gives me about 650 FPS (1152x864 24bpp) default glxears window
> size. But when I'm totally covering glxgears win with xterm I'm getting
> 8000 FPS (that's expected :) and when I'm covering only very small part
> of green gear with xterm, I'm getting about 1500-1600 FPS (and that's
> strange). Next, when maximizing window to fullscreen, it shows about 72
> FPS, but gears SEEMS to rotate much quickly. Can somebody explain me
> this behaivor?

Your brain can't interpret images at much more than 120fps and you're monitor
can only output at about the same or less. At 72fps is looks like the gears
are actually turning. At 650fps or 1600fps you're only seeing every 5th or
10th or 15th frame of what the computer is actually calculating and putting
into video memory.

BTW, you're lucky to get 8000fps off-screen. I get ~550fps at regular size,
~75fps at full-screen (1024x768x24) and only ~1550 at regular size
off-screen. Probably due to lack of DRM-support of nvidias? or is that just
wishful thinking ;-)

Jason