Vano D wrote:
On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 12:41, Mike Williams wrote:

Is it possible for me to steal 10 GB
from the Windows partition and give it to Linux?

Partition Magic (costly windows program), the tools in sys-fs/ntfsprogs, and parted should be able to do what you need, but it depends on which partitions windows and linux are on.

Just a note about parted. I used it a few days ago to resize an ntfs
partition (main windows xp installation partition). I think I did
everything correctly (defragmented the ntfs partition from within
windows, and resized the partition using parted from within knoppix),
but to my great disappointment windows would no longer boot under grub.
Looks like the ntfs boot header part got messed up.

I don't know what are other people's experiences with parted, and
actually I would like to know what other people thing and if possible
what did I do wrong. Anyhow I feel parted should be used with a lot of
caution as with all these partition modifying utilities.

I was under the impression that NTFS support under parted was *extremely* experimental.

--
Andrew Gaffney