> > > Is it possible for me to steal 10 GB
> > > from the Windows partition and give it to Linux?
> >
> > Partition Magic (costly windows program), the tools in
> sys-fs/ntfsprogs, and
> > parted should be able to do what you need, but it depends on
> which partitions
> > windows and linux are on.
> >

> Just a note about parted. I used it a few days ago to resize an ntfs
> partition (main windows xp installation partition). I think I did
> everything correctly (defragmented the ntfs partition from within
> windows, and resized the partition using parted from within knoppix),
> but to my great disappointment windows would no longer boot under grub.
> Looks like the ntfs boot header part got messed up.
>
> I don't know what are other people's experiences with parted, and
> actually I would like to know what other people thing and if possible
> what did I do wrong. Anyhow I feel parted should be used with a lot of
> caution as with all these partition modifying utilities.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vano.

Vano,
   I use System Commander 7, which is a good program, but not bullet proof.
I've had a number of problems over the last couple of years messing with
partition sizes, so before I use SC7, I try to run a Ghost image of the
whole drive, store it off, move it to a large external 1394 drive, and then
make my changes. If something goes horribly wrong, at least I can get back
to where I was.

   A few things to consider if you do this:

1) Ghost won't handle (as far as I know) anything other than ext2/3 Linux
partitions, so I don't use reiserfs or xfs on my system drive, or at least
on any partition I want to create an image for. (I do use reiserfs for my
audio data partitions under Linux.)

2) The SC7 executables can only be installed in a M$ type environment, so
the first thing I put on my drive when I build a box is a small (20MB) DOS
partition. I install DOS, and then install SC7. After that I'm free to
install Linux and whatever forms of Windows I need. If you already have
Linux on a box, then you'd have to shoehorn in a DOS partition, make it
bootable, and then do the stuff above.

3) If you mess with partition sizes (and ordering) for a bootable Linux
partition then grub will have to be cleaned up or you won't be able to boot.
This is difficult, but usually can be done.

   That's how I'm doing this.

Cheers,
Mark