I've been running openbox beneath gnome as my window manager for some
time. Then today, for no reason, Gnome decided to crap out when it was
manager, metacity. The Gnome startup splash screen gets hung with the
text "Window Manager" and never finishes starting.

cat ~/.xinitrc:
bbkeys -t &
openbox &
gnome-session

Is there something I can do to tell Gnome not to bother loading it's own
window manager?

I tried setting the WINDOW_MANAGER env. variable as recommend in `man
gnome` to "openbox" and changed by .xinitrc to:

bbkeys -t &
WINDOW_MANAGER=openbox gnome-session

But then Gnome won't load either and still gets hung up with the text
"Window Manager" on the splash screen.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Why is this the first time it has ever
given me this problem?

eric heller.