On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:21 pm, Mike Wojcikiewicz wrote:

> On October 30, 2003 09:50, Craig Main wrote:

> > > The fact that DMA is *off* immediately jumped out at me. This
> > > can/should be on with any or most modern HDs and/or controllers.
> >
> > I get this when trying to enable dma, any ideas?
> >
> > laptop root # hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> >  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> >  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >  using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> I used to get that after a kernel upgrade.. after some digging around it
> turns out i didnt have the right IDE chipset compiled into my kernel..
> check yours and make sure youre using the right one and that its compiled
> IN to the kernel (as opposed to a module)
> - --
> - --mike
Hmmm. I just looked at one of my 2.4.22 kernel configs. Make sure all these
items are supported in the kernel, in addition to your chipset, as Mike says.
The "# forced" line I'm not sure of, but I don't have it set, and DMA works
with my 2.4 kernels. If you have these all set "y" already, it must be the
hard drive itself.

Robert Crawford

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y