Hi, i am new here so please excuse me if my questions are dumb (I have
looked around already).
During the gentoo installation process:

1. 'emerge gnome' mozilla1.4 failed with please use gtk+2
flag. So now gtk+2 is in /etc/make.conf. But most of gnome was already
compiled. How do I compile (all of) it again?
emerge --force gnome ??

(It this neccessary? And will this use gtk+2 as the default gtk or is
gtk+2 a separate package in portage?)

2. Can the neccessary usage of gtk+2 flag be put into the
Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

3. It wasn't completely obvious at first that - meant not in make.conf, eg
-kde -qt. This could be explain clearer in:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml#doc_chap4
and
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap17

Mick

p.s. Having been a redhat user and with redhat dropping support, and
after doing a check quick that gentoo handles my requirements (nvidia,
v4l, rivatv, xatv), I took the leap to gentoo (trialing it on my laptop
first).

Well, what a pleasure!!! The installation is soooo easy, and I
went for the full monty with stage 1.

The documentation is excellent to, all very uptodate, and there isn't
hoards of old useless documents to be waded through to find what your
after.

Lots of thanks to everyone involved, without doubt my recommendations for
a linux distro will now go to gentoo. :-)