[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This is mainly directed at those of you that have used the virtual-mailhosting guide.

Have you searched any mailing list archives? I know there has been some discussion on your questions in the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list. There's also more documentation and information regarding this topic (including what's covered in the Virtual Mailhosting document you're referring to) at their site.

That said...

* How are you controlling it? custom PHP frontend? Postfix Admin?

If you use the MySQL backend, you can manage the database from the command line (if you know MySQL) or you can use one of a few GUIs. I don't recall the names of the packages but if you look at some of the MySQL how-tos at postfix.org, they should mention them.

* Have you found it to be reliable & stable?

Postfix itself is known to be reliable and stable. MySQL, of course, has the same reputation.

* Did you choose to use maildrop or procmail, and why?

Do you like green apples or red? Both of these programs do their job and filter your mail--they're simply different varieties of "apples". I chose Maildrop for performance and for its language--it said to be a better performer than Postfix and the filtering language is structered whereas Procmail's is not.

...just trying to gather some information. I am using it and so far, it's been working great but I have zilch for "easy admin" tools and I wanted to know what others were using. I'd like to be able to have users add mailboxes to their own domains and for users to be able to edit .mailfilter files but so far I haven't really found a workable way to do that. I was thinknig of attempting to re-write the nice looking Postfix Admin for usage with the Gentoo guide but I don't have the time and I certainly don't have the PHP knowledge. =/

Here again, check out the Postfix site--there's quite a bit of information regarding virtual setups.

As for .mailfilter, the only program I'm aware of that would edit this files directly is SqWebmail. I'm not certain (yet) that it does this as I haven't tested it.