Hm I think nmap is checking various parameters of packets from scan like TTL
and such.... each OS has its predefined values for parameters of packets...
It is called TCP/IP fingerprinting.... yes I just browsed a bit nmap's
site.... here it is:
http://www.nmap.org/nmap/nmap-fingerprinting-article.html

--
: