Chris
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ernst Herzberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I need a firewall ?

> On Sonntag, 23. November 2003 07:21, Chris wrote:
>
> > For those who dont know a pc can be cracked in as little as five minutes
> > even on a dialup.
>
> Yupp. With a wrong configured firewall it takes one minute.  If the
lowbrow
> user installs a firewall, it is an open door. If only trusted services
> listening on a dialin interface, why the need for a firewall? It make no
> sense to block ports where nothing is listening on.
>
> If someone openes a port, i hope he knows what he is doing. If he wants
> that this port is listening to the world, he has also open it on the
> firewall also. The firewall is no protection in this case.
>
> The only reason i can see if a user starts services without knowing what
he
> is doing. And such a user is not able to handle a firewall propertly
> anyway.
>
> So give me a reason why a dialin user should use a firewall?

you answered it yourself   there are just too many misconfigured systems by
those who do know what they are doing so I got into the habit of saying yes
especially for win users.

as for well configured home dialups a friend of mine used to love to crack
them just cuz they were dialup and with the state of things in the world I
do tend to recogmend one

personally I lke my ports blocked and masked that way if one slips open for
some reason I at least have a chance to close it before someone finds it and
there are just too many keeping vital info like taxes business records and
the like on their home pc's. just never know which ones are so play it safe
and say yes

for those who use them for gaming only a firewall can interfear so no real
need. it is all personal choice and how close you prefer to keep everything.

at least thats what i was tought.

my own parents wouldnt even concider going on line until I installed one

---