On Monday 24 November 2003 11:34, Chris wrote:
> From: "Jason Stubbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On Monday 24 November 2003 11:12, Chris wrote:
> > > how do you format a patition without losing whats on it?
> >
> > WTF?!
>
> this was thread cant boot gentoo
>
> first I need to repair the reiserfs format then fix the file that started
> the problem and I would prefer to do this without losing anythis that is
> already installed or my personal files.

Okay, context really helps! ;-)

After the error message you're getting when booting up, it should ask you for
the root password and/or dump you into a shell. From there you should be able
to access all your files, albeit read-only access. If you have somewhere to
back them up to, do so now.

Next try running reiserfsck manually with no parameters except for the
partition. If that works then you have a problem with a config file or script
somewhere.

If it doesn't and you get some message about it not being a reiserfs
partition, try running reiserfsck --rebuild-sb as you were guided to in the
original message. Then go back and do another fsck.

No warranties!

Jason