Chris
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Stubbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] formating a partition

On Monday 24 November 2003 12:40, Chris wrote:
> Chris

       The DOS 6.x FORMAT command looks for some information in the first
sec-
       tor of the data area of the partition, and treats this  information
as
       more  reliable than the information in the partition table.  DOS
FORMAT
       expects DOS FDISK to clear the first 512 bytes of the data  area  of
       partition  whenever a size change occurs.  DOS FORMAT will look at
this
       extra information even if the /U flag is given -- we  consider  this
       bug in DOS FORMAT and DOS FDISK.

fdisk, unlike the dos version, should not touch the partitions at all. From
what you've described, fdisk can read the partition table but the linux
kernel can not. In the other thread, you said you hadn't changed anything -
I'm believing you and assuming that the /dev entries are correct and that
your kernel has all the necessary support. So, that leaves the partition
table. fdisk should fix that.

Again, no warranties.

Jason

thanks Jason for all your help so far