Matthieu Amiguet wrote:
Any idea what is causing eth0 to start?

Anything that depends on net.

I could not find anything. Anyone able to point out what service needs net in the "rc-update -s" output of my last mail?

Your best bet is to move net.eth0 outside /etc/init.d leaving just net.lo (which should satiate the net-hungry services).

This works, but does not seem very elegant... If I understand the concepts, /etc/init.d should contain all the initlevels scripts and rc-update should enable to start or stop them in different levels.
If I cannot have a service in /etc/init.d that is not started in the default level, I would be inclined to consider it as a bug.

It's a system designed to make things easier, and it does. Having to manually control service dependencies is a bad thing. All you have to do to remove a service, is do exactly that - move it elsewhere.

If you want to find out what is starting net.eth0, simply boot the computer, and watch the init output. What starts directly after net.eth0 ?

MAL