A few "stupid" things to check: experience really leads the way!
1. DNS nameserver: iptables -L
If you see anything saying DROP or DENY either to the ip-range you're
talking about or port 53, that's a problem.
2. Make sure that djbdns is setup to respond correctly
I've bollixed this on bind9 enough times, you *have* to make sure that your
nameserver is allowing client-queries, I'm not sure if djbdns does this by
default... if it's currently setup as a caching nameserver, it should.
3. Make sure the "client" /etc/resolv.conf or other nameserver
configurations are correctly pointed at modor/shire's internal ip(s).
4. Do a whois on the dommainname and check to make sure that the correct
nameserver output is there (whois.opensrs.net is my favorite)
5. Read the nameserver record for the domain and pick an ip that has a name
pointed at it and on a machine that isn't on the same network (if you have
Comcast/Verizon, choose a machine hosted one Level3's network for example)
do a query for that hostname.
6. If all else fails, I'll see if I can duplicate your problem locally and
attempt to help you fix it.