> I believe that the following output indicates that this
> has been done successfully:
>
>    # cat /proc/pci
>    PCI devices found:
>     Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
>      Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem
> (rev 8).
>        IRQ 11.

11 is the serial IRQ

>        Master Capable.  Latency=64.
>        Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x42100000 [0x4210ffff].
>        I/O at 0x2020 [0x2027].

0x2020 is your IO address.

> Section 1.9 of the modem-HOWTO then says:
>    For PnP modems: If the BIOS has already set these in the physical
> device

I think this is refering to ISA PnP.

>   (which a PnP BIOS will do if it thinks you don't have a PnP OS) then
> you need
>   to determine the IRQ and IO address and then tell this to "setserial".

This is in /proc/pci above.

> The physical serial ports on the motherboard seem to have been
> allocated correctly at boot up:
>    # dmesg | grep tty
>    ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>    ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Your IO and IRQ aren't that important as they only set up the kernel serial
driver. with PCI this is done automatically.

> But there are no other /dev/ttyS slots available:
>    # ls /dev/ttyS*
>    /dev/ttyS0  /dev/ttyS1

These serial ports sould refer to the two serial ports. Are there two on the
mother board and the PCI card is the third.

If your using devfs - /dev/tts/[0-1] are also your serial ports. Look at the
major and minor numbers when you do:

ls -la /dev/ttyS? /dev/tts/*

If you want to check the modem

minicom /dev/tts/0 and try some AT commands (Hayes command set) - ATDT
(number) dials a phone number, ATA answers, google search will give you a
full list.

> How  do I create one, please..?

mknod - shouldn't need to though - they should already exist. Especialy if
devfs is manageing /dev. Look at /dev/tts/*

If you do NEED a third:

mknod /dev/ttyS3 c 4 66

> Many thanks in advance for any help or comments. I would be
> particularly interested to hear from anyone else who is using vgetty to
> answer the phone.

I think from memory there is an edit on the /etc/inittab for a S0 entry with
vgetty on it and the rest is [mv]getty config based.

The documantion with mgetty is useful last I saw - you have emerged mgetty and
looked at /usr/share/doc/mgetty-{version}?

Daniel Black
- --
Proudly a Gentoo Linux User.
GnuPG/PGP signed and encrypted email preferred
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x32A64DC8