On Wednesday 26 November 2003 06:35, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> [...]
> > (if you are telling me that you never needed an undelete
> > program.. well..)
> >
> > - cons: some other unwanted people might undelete stuff you don't
> > want to have undeleted...
>
> 1b) and remove the pointers to the data thus unallocating the
> inodes. So, the inodes are not marked as deleted, but marked as
> unused/free space.
>
> > 2. delete entire file (like overwriting the space occupied by the
> > deleted data it with other garbage data)
> > - pros: fewer chance of undeletion (NOT null-chances, since with
> > proper (expensive) equipment, somebody might still recover the
> > data.. incredible isn't it ? that's why many programs let you
> > choose how many times to overwrite the deleted portion ... (even
> > hundreds of times)
> >
> > - cons: SPEED !!! if the system would have to overwrite every
> > file you delete, the writing speed would be half on deletion !!
> > (example: to delete 1 700MB movie on my system would take 0.01
> > sec at most for case 1 and about 20-30 secs for case2)
>
> and the third dos/windows FAT way:
> just add a special charackter to the name and don't show it to the
> user anymore, but have it still in the FAT OR shove it into the
> trashcan.
>
> > Linux and Windows and any system which cares about itself and its
> > users should use the first variant by default, letting the users
> > choose if they want that kind of security like file shredded by
> > other programs.. At least on ext2 it is possible to undelete
> > stuff, and maybe on the others too, but nobody really cared to
> > design such programs...
>
> in ext2 you have a bitmap of the inodes and a well known structure.
> This making undelete a complicate but doable process, scanning for
> unallocated inodes, checking them and dump them into lost&found.
>
> Reiser with its B*-trees is something different, at the latest when
> you hit packed tails.
>
> > by the way, deleting a file will not put it in linux (by default
> > at least) in "a hidden dir". The space which is marked as deleted
> > can be used by the system at any time, and it appears as "free
> > space" (not like windows recycle bin).
>
> Maybe I was not clear.
> I am familar to the different ways of deleting a file.
> But I think that simple renaming/shoving it into a hidden dir, can
> not be called 'deleting'.  Additionally there seems to be a huge
> intervall between 'deleting' and 'overwriting' in windows, apart
> from this 'trashcan' crap wich has nothing to do with deleting at
> all.
>
> With linux, unmount/remounting ro could be (and in a lot of cases
> will be) enough to overwrite the freed inodes.
>
> If something is 'deleted' it should be gone from the fs point of
> view (like in linux). Not hidden from the user with a nifty
> charackter or in a special dir (like in dos or windows). So to
> install a tool, simple to unhidde and/or delete this hidden files
> is only a weak patch for a imho borked design.

I now understand what you mean. Taking out of discussion the "recycle
bin" stuff, which of course can't be named deletion, I'm not sure if
the "marking" (4E in hexa if I remeber correctly) is so bad after
all. Of course, there will be records in FAT that maybe shoudn't be
there, but at least a beginner can undelete his mp3s or part of them
after a mistake. I would be tempted to say that this marking thing
was meant for beginners, but at the time when dos was created, i
doubt they designed FAT with this consideration in mind.
All in all, fat follows the windows style, and it's up to the users to
choose a file system.