On Wednesday 26 November 2003 19:56, Michael Spohn wrote:
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"

The x86 is redundant but shouldn't cause a problem.

> FEATURES="sandbox ccache autoaddcvs"

sandbox should be okay but try bash with 'FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge bash'
just to be sure. If it does work, it's not a perminent solution but it's a
start.

> USE="x86 oss avi crypt cups encode foomaticdb gif jpeg kde libg++ mad
> mikmod mpeg ncurses nls pdflib png quicktime spell truetype xml2 xmms xv
> zlib directfb gtkhtml alsa gdbm berkdb slang readline arts tetex aalib
> bonobo svga tcltk mysql X sdl gpm tcpd pam libwww ssl perl python esd
> imlib oggvorbis gnome gtk qt motif opengl mozilla gphoto2 ldap cdr
> scanner aavm acpi acpi4linux apache2 bluetooth cgi doc dv dvd evms2 evo
> fbcon fbdev ffmpeg foreign-package foreign-sysvinit gb gstreamer gtk2
> imagemagick imap ipv6 irda irmc java javascript lcms libgda lirc maildir
> mcal md5sum mdb mmx oav offensive pcmcia php samba sdk sqlite stroke
> tiff transcode trusted uclibc usagi usb v4l videos xfs xine xinerama
> xosd xvid -apm"

That's a lot of use flags!

> I emerged whois without any problems, but when emerging bash for example
> it stops with:
>
> ...<snip>
>  * Applying
> bash-2.05b-empty-herestring.patch...
>                                     [ ok ] * Applying
> bash-2.05b-rbash.patch...
>                                     [ ok ]>>> Source unpacked.
> /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No
> Permission
>
> !!! ERROR: app-shells/bash-2.05b-r8 failed.
> !!! Function econf, Line 338, Exitcode 126
> !!! econf failed

I take it whois doesn't use a configure script. Actually, another idea would
be to kill your PORTAGE_TMPDIR (rm -rf /var/tmp/portage). Try that before the
above because the problem should be fixed if it works. Otherwise, sounds like
something wrong with sandboxing.

Jason