begin  quote
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:39:32 -0800 (PST)
"POLAX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Easy. they aren't. Unless you do it in the commandline, portage
> > doesn't
> > do it. Some packages wipe all CFLAGS or ignore them completely
> > because
> > they break with all except -O2 , but we try to do as little as
> > possible.
>
> Larry the Cow would not be impressed...he was told gentoo gave him
> "control over the optimization settings and build-time functionality
> that HE wanted, rather than what some distro creator thought would be
> best for him" :- (

This was for two different occasions, just that my linebreak
dissapeared:

package specific optimizations aren't handled unless you do it on
commandline.

some packages are known and documented to break with certain flags, and
if those flags are in the common area (-O3 comes to mind)  they are
filtered out and removed.  Some packages don't even like -march= but
will sod off and generate segfaults the next package thats built (cause
its used in the buildprocess) .  We fix that by overriding CFLAGS for
those specific cases.  (sandbox is a good example. it breaks using O>1)

> This Larry the Cow likes insane CFLAGS optimizations!

Yes, go play with them, but what we are protecting here isn't users who
compete by the size of their CFLAGS, but ourselves from packages that
don't build with either the default (-O2 -march=)  or"recommended" (not
by me) -O3 .

> This is sort of what the LFS (linuxfromscratch.org) boys told
> me...well no, their motto is FBBG (Follow Book, Book Good).

<cut>  (since you didn't tell me what measure of "stable" was, nor what
os said system was for I'm blatantly ignoring this)

> I really can't think of a package that would benfit overall system
> performance from optimization more than glibc - it's used by
> EVERYTHING!

Ahh, so thats why theres processor specific assembler all over glibc.
Glad to know.

<cuts the rest>

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!