Here is what I have found so far.

I am trying to use cupsd to setup a "new" printer on my computer.  I have all
the software installed, am able to start/stop /etc/init.d/cupsd without any
problems.  I can go into the "Manage Printers" with a web browser.  When I
click on "Manage Printers", the following line shows up in the
/var/log/cups/error.log:

Started "/usr/lib/cups/printers.cgi" (pid=1316)
[CGI] CUPS-Get-Printers request failed - server-error-internel-error (500)

Environment:
  IBM Thinkpad 380D, 80MB RAM, 20GB hard drive (lots of space available)
  Gentoo Linux 2.4.20-gentoo-r5
  cups 1.1.19
  Foomatic
     Filters 3.0 20031018
     DB 20031018
     DB Engine 3.0 20031018
     DB hpijs 1.4-1
  Printer:  HP DeskJet 420C on parallel port #1

I have the kernel setup to use these modules:
  parport_pc
  lp
  parport

I am able to cat text to /dev/lp0

Does anyone have any ideas?  I REALLY need this working!!!  I know the printer
itself works just fine, it was used on this same computer before without any
problems, but recent upgrades in OS and printing software has caused
problems.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Harlan...