On Friday 28 November 2003 02:01, Adam Scriven wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 04:05:52PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > There's also a FAQ section which lists the following code:
> >
> > unset LC_ALL
> > export LANG=ko_KR.euckr
> > nabi &
> > export XMODIFIERS="@im=nabi"
> > export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
> > mozilla or gedit or kedit
> >
> > If you put that before X starts up - I put mine
> > in /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.2.0_beta1 - then you should have Korean input
> > available for any application by hitting Shift-Space.
>
> I tried to put it in /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox, but it didn't work.
> Then I tried /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession, but it didn't work.
> Then I tried my own .xinitrc file, and it worked!  I could shift-enter and
> type stuff in XChat.  It doesn't seem to work in Mozilla, and I don't have
> a working korean-language terminal.  It works in GAIM just fine as well.
> It wants to work in OpenOffice, but the fonts don't seem to be there.
> Is there a way to make that system-wide, such that this is the default
> functionality?  I thought the XSession file in /etc/X11/Sessions, but that
> got overwritten (with the file that I changed moved to xsession in the same
> directory).

If you ran it from your .xinitrc then it should already be "system-wide" for
your user session. I've had problems similar to what you're seeing with
openoffice with some apps. I fixed that by changing conversion from
on-the-spot to over-the-spot in qtconfig. I don't know how that would be done
outside of kde.

> The problem I have now is, window titles are in Korean. *lol* I think I
> know how to fix that, by not setting the LANG variable, I'm going to test
> that after I send this e-mail.

Instead of LANG=ko_KR.euckr, use LC_CTYPE. If you explicitly set LANG=en_??
Korean input should still work.

> Maybe I'm not clear on how it's supposed to work?  How I'd like it to run
> is, it runs in english except when you're inputting different languages (by
> typing shift-space to toggle), or unless a webpage/document is coded in
> korean (you'd still need to toggle to korean to input, but it should
> display in it's native language).

How you'd like it to run is how I'm running my system for Japanese now. The
input of Korean is almost there. The display of Korean is a different story.
For that you'll have to set Mozilla to auto-detect the encoding and make sure
the fonts configured for that/those encoding(s) include Korean characters.

Jason