031128 Vano Beridze wrote:
> I have AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM
> I installed gentoo from stage 1 (took 1 day)  What a surprise:
> On the same machine with RedHat 9 (i386 packages)
> NetBeans 3.5.1(sun jdk 1.4.2_02) runs faster.
> I switched to gentoo because I wanted faster and customized system.
> But If I see that Gentoo does not perform better
> unfortunately I will have to try Fedora :(
> Please help me to stay

i have a similar machine & no complaints re sloth.
the idea of Gentoo is not so much to maximise program performance
as to give the user his/her own custom system, ie a "meta-distribution".
a/a RH you get the advantages of Portage vs RPM
& you install just what you want, not  2,5 GB  pgms you never use;
also, the method of managing services etc is much more elegant
& dox are generally comprehensive & very well-written;
there's also a large, knowledgeable & friendly gang of users Worldwide
w an excellent Forum as well as this mailing-list.
just see what Linux Weekly News had to say last week!

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]