On Sunday 30 Nov 2003 01:12, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Starting 3-4 weeks ago the machine has been crashing a lot. It's hung
> with no keyboard or mouse. I cannot ssh into it. Only a reset gets it
> going again. memtest86 runs for a day with no errors found.

Hmmm, I have a machine like that, hanging with mouse and keyboard (both
PS/2) dead.  Because it was steadily getting worse and I could no
longer get Windows to set up my grahics card, I replaced the graphics
card and main board.

Mouse and keyboard still hang running Gentoo, but OK running Mandrake
and Windows.  Now this happens when I play a Windows game with wine.
Mandrake's OK because there I use winex.  I removed winex from my
gentoo boxes after the problems with transgaming led to its withdrawal
from portage.  I'm sure that my problem must have started then.  It
also afflicted my other gentoo box, less severely, when playing that
game with wine.

So yesterday I downloaded winex-cvs from transgaming and built it (with
help from the patch and support files still in my portage overlay) and
so far the problem has disappeared.

Peter