Under gentoo if you put the name (in this case "ft3xx") in the
/etc/modules.autoload file it will load on boot.  Of course, as it
depends on the module being under the /lib/modules/$kernelversion/ tree
you may have to copy it there each time you recompile the kernel, but
once it's there you should be fine.  You just have to ensure that it's
there for the initial reboot if your whole system is under the RAID.

alan

I think in his config the raid is his /. In that case, root won't mount so /lib/modules will not exist for init to start to load the proper kernel module.

He does need to use initrd.

Arturo,

To get the ft3xx driver to load on boot with initrd do this:
emerge mkinitrd
mount /boot (if not already mounted)

mkinitrd --with=ft3xx /boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img <kernelversion>

in /etc/lilo.conf you will have a section like this:
image = /boot/vmlinuz-<kernelversion>-gentoo-r1
        root = /dev/<disk+parititon>
        label = <kernelversion>
        read-only # read-only for checking

add "initrd=/boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img" after the "root = <...>"

then re-run lilo.

Example of all steps:
emerge mkinitrd
mount /boot
mkinitrd --with=ft3xx /boot/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r1.img 2.4.22-gentoo-r1

vi /etc/lilo.conf and modify this:
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
root = /dev/sda7
label = 2.4.22
read-only # read-only for checking

to be this:
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
root = /dev/sda7
initrd = /boot/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r1.img
label = 2.4.22
read-only # read-only for checking

no re-run lilo.

NOTE: I assumed / was /dev/sda7. This will prolly be different on your own machine.

hope this helps.

--
Bryan Whitehead
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]