On Sunday 07 December 2003 09:16 pm, Jim wrote:
> On Sunday 07 December 2003 01:55 pm, Ernie Schroder wrote:

> > > I've been curious about this problem for some time.  Is the
> > > problem really the KT133 chipset, or just that NVIDIA and
> > > others are too lazy to produce code that will work with the
> > > KT133 chipset?
> >
> >     Good question.... I did a lot of searching for answers and never
> > was able to assign blame. All I know is that I was able to get
> > AGP and GLX to work on the AMD chipset board (if I only ran 2
> > drives hdc and hdd).
> >     My reason for going to the nforce2 board was the fact that my
> > research showed that Nvidia had done some extra work to insure
> > optimum performance with their chipset/video adapter combination.
> > My guess would be that nvidia saw little need to bend code for
> > the KT133 chipset as it was mostly obsolete when they wrote Linux
> > drivers for their cards. This is probably not the best situation
> > for Linux users using older equipment, but the drivers are free
> > (as in free beer).
>
> I recall something about a weak signal (can't recall if it was
> nvidia or the mobo) and that there was an interim fix with changing
> some bios settings, but i believe that was all worked out in the
> drivers.  That was a couple years ago.  Another fix was to disable
> agp 4x in the bios.  That was in my pre linux days, and M$ disabled
> agp 4x support by default in the drivers.

I went through all that without help If I remember correctly, I could
run glx apps for up to 10 minutes or so by setting AGP to 1x sideband
addressing was death though.This WAS 8 or 9 months ago so the nvidia
drivers might work OK with KT133 chipsets, but I can tell you that my
framerate is 20 or 25 times what it was with the same video card and
my nforce2 based mobo.

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free