On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:12:07PM -0600, rd wrote:
> Matthew --
>
> I don't want to bust your bubble... but scanning 35mm slides is not
> something that should be done with <$300 scanners.  No if you want any
> kind of quality.  It might be ok if you are just trying to build an
> "index"/"thumb gallery" of your pictures.
>
> To truly scan a slide into the computer, all of the docs that I have
> read say a minimum of 2000 dpi is required.  This translates into a
> special purpose film/slide scanner (Nikon is one) in the range of $1500
> to $1800.

That's pretty much what I've heard.  I have a cheaper ($250CND) HP that
has the slide and negative scanner attachment for it (not a "real"
negative scanner by any means) that works ok except for the tediousness
of loading it that at high res can produce some nice scans, more than
enough for a thumbnail gallery (scans up to 1200x1200 I think), but is
still not professional grade.

However, if what you're looking for is to get images into digital at a
decent resolution to display online and do some photo manipulation, a
set up like I have works fine, and the one you pointed to probably will
be around the same quality as a "normal" scanner, just much easier to
load and use :)

Good luck though, please post what you end up doing, as I'd be
interested in hearing what it's about.

BTW, good to see I'm not the only person who prefers 35mm to digital
(or at least I can replace my SLR with a digital rebel or *ist without
needing to sell a kidney to pay for it :)

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net