On Tuesday 09 December 2003 06:48 pm, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:36, Jerry McBride wrote:
> > If during the boot process the runtime script /etc/init.d/gnump3d is
> > started.... and sometime during the session I don't need it I can
> > manually issue the command; /etc/init.d/gnump3d stop and the actual
> > daemon will die as expected. However, if I atempt to restart it duing the
> > same session with: /etc/init.d/gnump3d start.... gentoo complains that
> > it's already running...
> >
> > What flag file isn't being deleted and how do I fix it or whom do I
> > notify to get it fixed?
>
> There is probably a stale pidfile. Just run "/etc/init.d/gnump3d zap" and
> the state of the service will be resetted. After that you can start it with
> "/etc/init.d/gnump3d start".

That works. Thanks. But why do state files go stale if I am legitimately
stopping the daemon?

Thanks again.

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing html.
     6:41pm  up 69 days, 23:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.09