mathieu perrenoud wrote:
Le Jeudi, 11 Décembre 2003 17.35, Chris Bare a écrit :

/var is not another /tmp directory, there are lots of things in it, specially in /var/lib
You should definitely not exclude /var from your backups.

So keep /var in your backups, but remove /var/log, /var/tmp, /var/run, /var/lock and any other dirs that contain non-persistent files.

Hey I start to realize that this is going to be a science.. I've installed Linux on all my home boxes in the last weeks, still reading manuals for installing this and that; I didn't reach the 'let's write a comprehensive, all-regarding backup script for my network' stage yet. I guess that'll take another week to find out what to backup and what to leave out..