Patrick Börjesson wrote:

But is this really what one should expect from an update? Shouldn't emerge just _not_ modify the world file when one gives the -u flag?

Well, i'm really not a gentoo expert (4 weeks ago i didn't know anything about it), but at the moment i fired that command, i saw emerge printing 'adding to world favorites file'....

Did you examine your world file after firing the mentioned command ?
How many entries does your world file contain, and can you remember
that you've explicitly emerged all of them ?

I just made a test: i've not installed lynx on one of my boxes yet,
but since it is always a good idea to have lynx on all linux boxes,
i entered the following command:

emerge -up lynx

then, emerge told me that lynx would be installed as new package [N],
then i entered

emerge -u lynx

After installing the package, it has been added to my world favorites
file.

You're right, one should expect that an upgrade option shouldn't
install new packages from scratch, and i think it also shouldn't add
the package to the world favorites file. Maybe someone might
fire up a feature request to the portage-ng developers ?

After all, it is not a serious desaster if one has got all the
stuff added to the world file, but i wanted to have a clean system
with no software installed that i don't need, so i edited my world
file by hand, but had some trouble remembering all and every package.

Eventually, 'emerge depclean' told me about 25 packages that it
would uninstall. Fortunately, i frequently used 'emerge depclean',
so i knew that these 25 packages would all still be required.
So i started researching, but as i got tired at night (after many
hours of research), i said to myself 'dammit', and entered
'emerge depclean'.

I thought it should be no problem to re-emerge these packages later,
but the caveeat is that they're added to the world file then..

Final result: my gnome desktop background picture isn't loaded
at gdm startup, my desktop is always empty until i manually
specify a new picture, but each time i restart gdm, my desktop
is empty again. Everything else works fine, so i can live with
it for a while. Somewhen in the future, i'll find out what's
going on, but i'll never forget the --oneshot option again.. :)