i had these problems too, and the problems is that you have configured
/etc/hosts wrong, i will show mine here, where it works, and i get:
This is redeeman.linux.dk (Linux i686 2.6.0-test11) 16:21:13

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.8 redeeman.linux.dk redeeman
192.168.1.8 redeeman
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/hostname
redeeman

/etc/dnsdomainname
linux.dk

you only need the ipv6 stuff if you actually use ipv6.

--
Regards, Redeeman