Hmm yea, come to think of it your suggestions make more sense.  I
still think I'm going to try out LVM.  I'm just leary of setting
limits on the partitions(paranoid thinking in the future nut).   I
will take yer suggestion and create a /home and a / partition.  Any
suggestion on why I should use JFS over ext3 or vice versa?

Tom