Hi,
   Short version - Would turning off hotplug using 'rc-update del
hotplug default' cause the 3Com network driver which is built into the
kernel to no longer load or configure?

  Long version - I have an NForce2 machine(A7N8X Delxe) at a remote
family location. We bought the machine a UPS yesterday, but for some
reason I was unable to get apcupsd working on that machine at that time,
so I decided to put it off until I got home today and log in and get it
configured.

   After I got home I noticed that there were differences between what
the rc-update programmed showed for the setups of the two machines, so I
set about trying to understand each of these options and to make the
machines similar. My local machine (not an NForce2) didn't have hotplug
turned on, so I turned it off on the remote machine. (Thinking it might
be causing apcupsd to not run since it's using a USB connection.) After
rebooting the remote machine I lost the network connection on the remote
machine. The 3Com driver is built into the kernel and has been working
for the last month, so I'm pretty sure it's something I did this
evening, but I don't understand why disabling hotplug would cause the
network connection to go away.

   When someone gets to the machine tomorrow during the day I'll just
have them turn hotplug back on as a test, but I'm interested in knowing
why this might cause this sort of problem? (If indeed it does!)

Thanks in advance,
Mark