On Sunday 28 December 2003 05:25, Meka[ni] wrote:
>       Is there a program that can check disk for damages? I need a surface scan
> similar to windows because I suspect that there is something wrong with one
> of my discs. If it is important, my hard disk is IDE. Thanx

you could try badblocks

quote from manpage:
       Important  note: If the output of badblocks is going to be fed to the
e2fsck or mke2fs programs, it is important that the block  size  is  properly
specified, since  the  block  numbers  which are generated are very dependent
on the block size in use.   For this reason, it is strongly recommended that
users  not  run badblocks  directly, but rather use the -c option of the
e2fsck and mke2fs programs.

        Rudmer