It has nothing to do with the ATI video card per se... there was a misspelling in the name of the image used for the grub menu. I guess the corruption was an effect of trying to render a non-existant file as an image!

Murray.

Murray Shields wrote:

I have just installed Gentoo on a second machine (my second install ever). Immediately after the GRUB splash screen the text console uses a badly corrupted font. It cannot be easily read but I can make out enough to see that it is the normal boot process and that there is a complaint about a reiserfs partition that needs to be fixed.

If I type the root password for single user mode the corruption persists so I am unable to do anything about the problem. If I continue the boot process the screen is corrected when it loads the user font - the entire screen is clear and normal as of that point. There is no othere corruption in any of the screens including X which starts and works fine.

How do I fix this so I do not have corrupt text during the boot process?

The system:
Intel P4 1.8
512Md DDR
ATI Radeon 9500 64Mb
40Gb HDD
Mitsubishi Diamond View 1786 17" monitor
2.4 Kernel

ati-drivers were emerged during install, so I do not know if the problem would exist without them...

Thanks.

-- ====================================================================== Murray Shields Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] MU Systems Pty Ltd Phone: +61 7 3253 1222