On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:00:07 +0000, Octavio Ruiz (Ta^3) growled:

> Andrew Farmer, who happens to be smarter than you, thinks:
>
>> If I remember correctly, distcc requires that all systems be the same
>> architecture and have all the same include files available. [...]
>
> I know something diferent. DistCC sends preprocesed files (.i) and
> assembler files (.s), so it is not needed to have the include files.
> Just need to send that files, asemble it and re-send an object file.
> Here is where the crosscompiling plays... You can compile code for sparc
> in an ppc and viceversa.. :)

Quite so. As it says at their home page http://distcc.samba.org/ "distcc
does not require all machines to share a filesystem, have synchronized
clocks, or to have the same libraries or header files installed. They can
even have different processors or operating systems, if cross-compilers
are installed."

However there are some perils if you are running significantly different
releases of GCC. See http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html#mixed-gcc

I've been making good use of distcc across three PCs on our network while
I've been building up my first Gentoo box. It's saved a lot of time.

--
Paul Oldham ----------> http://the-hug.org/paul
Milton villager ------> http://www.miltonvillage.org.uk/