To keep quotations intact, I'm bottom-posting, even though it's more
inconvienent...

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Barry Marler wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:53:17 -0500 (EST)
> Krikket <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Okay, I was able to edit GRUB to make things the way they should be,
> > but I still am unable to boot the system.
> >
> > I'm not sure what's wrong...  The details of the install so far:
> >
> > hda1 -> Boot
> > hda2 -> Swap
> > hda3 -> Blank  (When I figure out how, I want to mount this partition
> > as
> >         /extra )
> > hdb1 -> /
> >
> > My /mnt/gentoo/boot/grub/grub.conf file:
> >
> > default 0
> > timeout 30
> > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.g2
> > title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.24
> >   root (hd0,0)
> >   kernal (hd1,0)/boot/kernal-2.4.24
> >   root=/dev/hdb1 vga=794
> >
> > The problem that I'm seeing:  When I hit return (or wait for the
> > system to auto-load) I briefly get a blank screen and less than a
> > second later, I'm returned to the GRUB menu.
> >
> > In taking another look at things, I cd'd /boot and didn't see a
> > /kernal-2.4.24.  (For that matter, I didn't se a /kernal*) But I
> > didn't notice any errors when building the system...
>
> Did you mount /boot?

I mounted:
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/gentoo/
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

Contents:

/mnt/gentoo/boot
boot    grub    lost+found

/boot
boot    boot-bmp.b      boot-menu.b     boot-text.b     chain.b grub
mbr.b   os2_d.b

Which would explain why now when I select Gentoo to boot I get the
message:
filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
Error 15: file not found

Now, given the comments about copying the kernel over and not remembering
doing that (which seems to be confirmed by the lack of it's presence) I
went over the directions in the install manual again for that part of the
load.

I see it as part of the instructions if you manually configure the kernel,
but it is *not* part of the instructions if you use "genkernel".  (Which I
did.)

Do you think something errored out that I didn't notice, or that the
isnructions are incomplete for this step?  Or something else entirely?
Or...?

Thanks again,

Krikket