Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

Dan Egli wrote:

I am trying to emerge KDE. But everytime I do it starts compiling arts
which then dies in the conifg script saying unknown STL type.
'configure: error: "no known STL type found - did you forget to
install libstdc++-devel ?"'

I searched on the net and found on a mailinglist archive that you need
to install STLport package. So I emerge STLport, no prob. Re-run
emerge kde, and it still dies at the same place!

Help? Why isn't emerge finding the dependancy of STL for ARTS and
pulling the package?

--- Dan

STL is the standard template library for C++. It is free as part of the headers for the GNU C++ compiler (part of gcc). I believe the SGI implementation is supplied, although I did not see any SGI licensing in the headers (and the libraries of course). You should not be missing them if you have gcc installed. Any chance you built everything static?

I just noticed that you have "libstdc++-devel" as the error.  You didn't try
to install a development version of gcc did you?

Tom Veldhouse

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

No, it is not static. I have never put -static on the gcc/g++ line
libstdc++-devel is the common name for the package containing header files and the like to build a program against libstdc++. It's not in the libstdc++ package because it is only needed if you are compiling programs against libstdc++ so he makefile says libstdc++-devel.

My version of GCC is 3.2.3, that came across in the bootstrap process.

--- Dan