I'm missing something with anacron.  I merged it, then per the man pages
updated the /etc/anacrontab file to add a line to run emerge sync.

1 2 PortageSync emerge sync

However, when I run anacron -fdn to test it emerge sync command returns
an error. The rest of the commands run (they are the default ones
supplied with the  program).  I get an error (in /var/log/messages).  I
don't have a mailer installed on this system so the mailing attempt fails.

I assume that this job failed due to the exit status of 127 but how do I
find out what is broken?  Is the syntax incorrect.  I tried quoting
emerge sync but that didn't help.

Jan 20 22:09:24 strider anacron[4110]: Job `PortageSync' started
Jan 20 22:09:24 strider anacron[4110]: Job `PortageSync' terminated
(exit status: 127) (mailing output)