thanks for replying.

i'm quite sure /boot is mounted at the time i generate and copy the initrd
image. the kernel is manually configured. the 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 seems
already patched with the boot splash patch, since i saw the option:

        [*] Use bootsplash instead of boot logo.

i was following the HOWTO from
http://reviewed.homelinux.org/gentoo/bootsplash/
and the steps i went through are:

0. emerge bootsplash

1. configure the kernel, with following options enabled:
        [*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
        [*] Loopback device support
        [*] RAM disk support
        [*] Initial RAM disk (initrd) support
        [*] VGA text console
        [*] Video mode selection supportB
        [*] Support for frame buffer devices
        [*] VESA VGA graphics console
        [*] Use splash screen instead of boot logo

2. compiled new kernel, and copy it to /boot.

3. rc-update add bootsplash boot.

4. copied an initrd from /usr/share/bootsplash to /boot
4.alt. also tried generate a new initrd by:

        /sbin/splash -s -f
        /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg
        > /boot/initrd-1024x768

5. edit grub.conf:

        kernel  /kernel-2.4.22-splash root=/dev/hda2
                video=mtrr,vesa:1024x768 vga=0x317 splash=silent
        initrd=/initrd-1024x768

6. reboot

kernel obviously enabled framebuffer. but boot logo is shown, but no boot
splash. the /proc/splash does not exist neither.

can anyone help me?
thanks