I've tried to get Alsa running on other Linuxes before on a laptop, and
never with success, despite help from the Alsa mailing list.

Therefore, I'm not completely surprised that Alsa is giving me problems on
the desktop.

The problem I've run acorss:

I've emerged alsa and alsa-utils.  I've edited files per the instructions.

Now it's time for me to run "modules-update", or "update-modules",
depending on which set of directions I follow.  (The ones that appear in
the manual, or the ones that appear when I install alsa-utils.)

My results (Regardless of which I choose to run):

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/media/radio/miropcm20.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wan/comx.o.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/modules.d#

I checked both of those files, and ther are *blank*.  So there shouldn't
be any unresolved symbols..  Unless I'm missing something, which is always
a possibility...

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Krikket