Basic problem:

I have no sound on xine.  Fresh install from freshly repartitioned
hard-drives, the whole works.

The error I'm getting is:

    libmad: ALERT input buffer too small (2279 bytes, 0 avail)!
    audio_alsa_out: snd_pcm_open() of front failed: Invalid argument
    audio_alsa_out: >>> check if another program don't already use PCM <<<

(Which then repeats ad infinitum, or until the video ends, which ever
comes first)

So I start thinking of other ways I've gotten around other audio problems
with this computer:  JACK.  I see it's even in portage.  Woot!

Only when I try to emerge that package, I get:

     Calculating dependencies
     !!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "jack" have been masked.

     !!! Error calculating dependencies. Please correct.

Erm?  Okay.  So I try 'USE="~i386" emerge jack' to see if that helps.
Same result.

Anyone know what's going on here?

(Damn...  And so close to having the system at the point of where I want
it...)

Krikket